Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Joy of Facebook

I just changed my blog title and focus and I feel freed. Discussing only issues related to mental illness can be limiting and at times depressing. Nobody is only their illness, there is much more to them and I know there is more to me.

Lately, I got back into contact with many of my friends thanks to the joy of Facebook. Some of these are friends I lost touch with and some are people I knew only a little, but now have gotten to know much better. There is something special about seeing people who knew me when I was stick thin and the tallest in my class. Now, at a chunky 5 ft 10", I am no longer that same dude. I miss that aspect of myself, but I don't miss the guy who used to walk around with his head down because he thought he was the biggest geek on the face of the earth.

During the past year I have attended around 5 get togethers that I only found out about on Facebook. I attended a wedding of a friend I worked with at my first job and got to know her husband. I also attended a funeral which was sadly for a high school acquaintance who passed at the way too young age of 40. There were many others at the funeral who only heard of it on Facebook. The social networking era has come and for now I believe it has truly made the world a better place.

Do I sometimes spend too much time on Facebook? Of course I do. However, one doesn't know what it can lead to either. I am currently looking for a job with my experience in bookkeeping, customer service, and also as a teacher. I now have over 300 people that have at some point seen one of my comments about job hunting and who knows if that will lead to a job. Of course if I play Lexulous or Wordscraper too much then I won't have the time to find jobs on Craigslist or the various sites like Monster.com which has the same listings as other sites and unfortunately most of these have listings that are months old.

Last erratic thought for the day. My birthday was on January 14th and it was nice to receive 30 or more happy birthdays on Facebook. These were mostly from people that I have been friends with over the years so it was nice to know they cared enough to take the time to write something even if it was just saying Happy Birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday late my friend. I have been really busy at work so I missed the notice on FB about your birthday. Hope it was very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete