Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 7, 2010

A Raphe by any other name

I just left my local 7 Eleven and instead of being given a standard salutation such as thanks or have a goodnight, the guy said "Thanks Bub." After all these years I am being called bub. It's bad enough that my name Raphael is pronounced "Ray-fee-ohl" which confuses the average bear and almost anyone else I have met, but now I have to deal with the indignity of being called inane names.

My nickname is Raphe (Rayf) which has turned into Roff by people that I have known for years. People I don't know will call me Ralph or Greg and I just stand there in awe. However, these are situations where I can give them the benefit of the doubt and figure that somehow they just haven't heard my name right or maybe just don't care.

Why would anyone think calling someone boss would be received positively? When I get my oil changed I don't want to be referred to as boss or bro. A simple sir would do or even Mr. Margolin.




I have a strange idea for people in customer service. If you can't think of a respectable name to call your customer then how about asking him/her what they would like to be called? This concept may be too much for your average individual, but it is one that I wish would be taken into account.

Someday I will walk up to the counter at the local Seven Eleven, place my product on the counter, and have over my money. I will receive my change and my item then as I saunter out the store I will hear those special words, "Thank you sir." My ears will perk up and I will be one happy dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment