Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Don't Lose that Improv Feeling

If you can make it to a live improv comedy show I highly recommend The Groundlings on Melrose in West Hollywood, but if you can't make it there then check out these clips from the original Whose Line is it Anyway from the UK.



Over the last approximately 4 years I have been busy trying to find ways to make money and/or obtain gainful employment. Since I haven't been successful at finding anything with a consistent schedule I have chosen not to perform with any improv group. I performed for a little over 10 years with a very funny group from Orange County, CA called An Angry Mob. We performed very successful shows as headliners at The Original Comedy Store on Sunset as well as the one in La Jolla, The Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, and The Ice House in Pasadena as well as many other locations. The problem was that we might perform 3 shows in a week then over the next 6 months perform just another 3. It's a tough business out there especially when you book your gigs yourselves.

My cousin Sue passed away 3 1/2 years ago after battling a debilitating disease. It was very difficult watching a woman who loved to chat and laugh forced to communicate only in writing since she had to have a tracheotomy. Her best friend and I switched off being at her bedside over a 3 month period so she almost always had a daily visitor. I don't mention this to pat myself on the back, but rather to explain why words she said have such meaning. Due to family discord that did not directly involve us, we had not been close until the last two years of her life. During this time she became very supportive of me as a person and enjoyed attending the group's performances. She encouraged me to keep performing even if it was just once or twice a year. I lived in L.A. for about a year from 2006 to 2007 and took classes with the well renowned Groundlings. I enjoyed the opportunity to perform although I did not make out of the first level through any of my three attempts. This is greatly due to the fact that I enjoy being a quick wit rather than being able to create characters which The Groundlings are known for (Paul Reubens aka Pee Wee Herman was a Groundling, Phil Hartman, Lisa Kudrow, and many many more).

There is such a camraderie felt when one is part of a comedy troupe or merely an improv comedy performance. The energy on the stage when shows go well is electric and it bonds the entire group. Even when shows don't go that well, the group can be bonded by blaming the audience, lighting, or the fact the girl in front had makeup that looked like it was put on by monkeys on crack. Of course there is the occasional time when the group doesn't get along, but with the right group it is all worth it in the end.

My cousin's answering machine allowed us to hear her voice from beyond the grave. When anyone called, Sue's voice would say "You Know What to Do." This message took us through difficult decisions her best friend and I had to make. These included carrying out her wishes when some of those were not made clear by her even though she had a living will and made me the executor of her estate. I know that I will jump up on an improv state again and hopefully sooner rather than later. One of the motivating factors will be knowing that somewhere my cousin will be smiling and laughing louder than anyone in the crowd. In addition, her words and spirit will always resonate with me letting me know that I know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment