Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Back to Bipolar

When I started writing a blog I called it Bipolar Musings because I intended to focus all my discussions on mental illness. I found that too limiting hence the name Erratic Thoughts and the fact it has been a while since I brought up mental illness. The good thing about this is that it hasn't been on my mind lately (no pun intended, honestly).

I have including links to my favorite books dealing with bipolar disorder. One is more of a resource and the second is the story of a woman's experience with her bipolar.



My life is still challenging with the difficulties of finding a job and being a divorced father, but these are relatively normal struggles that many people encounter. What I have managed to do is maintain my moods pretty well lately through all the stress. A big part of maintaining has been helped by having an excellent support system. My family is very understanding of the fact that I have bipolar disorder and encourage me to maintain my medication and continue with therapy. My friends and girlfriend are also very supportive and know that I did not choose to have a mental illness. I am very lucky in this regard because not everyone is so lucky.

Unfortunately in some families and cultures it is considered an embarassent to have a family member who is mentally ill. This makes it hard to start treatment let alone continue on a life path that is centered on keeping one's mind balanced. How can you receive support and understanding from family members when they refuse to recognize you have a problem or ostracize you. This is a dilemma. Many in the mental health community work hard to eliminate the stigma of mental illness. I am not naive enough to believe the stigma will ever completely go away just like I believe there will always be some form of racism in this country. I am pleased though that it is more acceptable to discuss one's mental illness and find support groups in addition to developing a personal support system.

Why do I feel so strongly about helping others with mental illness? It is because when I was struggling with my illness and was not getting the proper help, my parents were able to get me in the right facility mainly because they knew the right people. Had they not had connections I very likely would have been roaming the streets in a daze or be languishing in a hospital that wanted to just institutionalize me. These are easy answers for those that don't want to help others in need. Unless someone raises a stink, just put them away or leave them standing out in front of a hospital with paperwork, but no idea what is going on. I don't want to see that happen to others and I hope it happens less and less.

What can you do? Be aware of changes in behavior by friends or family that are incongruous with their situation. If you know someone with a mental illness let them know you are there for them and if they are willing work out a plan with them to moderate their feelings, moods, etc. without being too intrusive. At bipolar support meetings I went to it was a simple number scale. One meant that you were extremely depressed and really should be in a hospital or getting care in some way, ten was the most manic and again hospitalization was the likely best choice. The goal was to be around the 5 level. At the beginning of a phone call you can ask "What number are you now?" If the answer is low or high then further inquiry and support are probably necessary. I hope you and your loved ones are lucky enough to have the positive support system I am blessed with.

No comments:

Post a Comment