Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 19, 2010

Fatherhood

The following is a song by Paul Simon called Father and Daughter. One of my favorite singers and my favorite topic and also another of my favorite songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR24ODVlcE

If you like that you can find it at Father And Daughter - Paul Simon - from the Wild Thornberrys Movie (Audio CD)

When I was a youngster I planned on being married at age 24 and then have 4 kids. I am not sure where I got those numbers, but it seemed so simple then. The economics of raising that many children and the time it would take did not come into my mind. As I got older and older I found that I might need to change my expectations. I was married at the age of 30 and my only child was not born until I was 35. Unfortunately my marriage would not last for a variety of reasons, but out of it we have a wonderful child named Hannah.

Hannah was born at 33 weeks and was 3 pounds 3 ounces. I worried about her survival, but she fought hard and has not looked back. What I could not have imagined is the joy she would bring me. Anybody could talk of the bond between a father and a daughter, but it can't be understood until it is experienced. Every time I see my daughter or think of her there is a warmth that fills my heart that is amazing. I don't see her as often as I wish I would, but even if I saw her every day I feel that the joy would still be there always.

Any child can be difficult at times, but the hugs and warmth shared makes any challenge worth it. Hearing Hannah say she missed me or getting a warm hug or seeing her smile takes me to another level of joy. Every day can be so special by just playing with her, seeing her learn how to use a computer, and learning how to read. This follows the joy of seeing her struggle to walk, start to talk, and get her own silly personality and strong will. She makes me want to be the best person and father I can be. I cannot imagine being away from her for a long period of time as it pains me to be apart for even a short time.



I think of those fathers that struggle to see their child and some mothers that keep these same fathers away. What I can say from experience is that what always needs to be kept in mind is that the child is who everyone should always be concerned with. The father may be someone who you do not feel close to or be happy with, but the daughter loves him dearly and as long as he has a positive relationship with her then that should be allowed to flourish. Otherwise what will happen is that eventually there will be resentment from the daughter back to the mother about the time she didn't get to experience with her dad. I want my daughter to have a positive relation with both me and my ex, but all I can hope is that she will feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment