Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Baseball won't bring me down.


Back in 1986 the California Angels as they were known came one pitch away from making it to the World Series for the very first time. Unfortunately, one pitch from Donnie Moore and Dave Henderson's home run changed that. The Angels lost that game and the next one and there went their World Series chance. I was watching the game in Palm Desert with my friend Tom at the time. He had just mentioned that it looked like the Angels were heading to the series and I said you never know cause this was the Angels and then it happened.




That was my senior year in high school and I was dealing with a lot of stress already and this just seemed to be the last straw. I auditioned for the school play and won the role of Judge Danforth in The Crucible as well as being enrolled in an English AP class where we constantly had to memorize poems. Add onto this the fact that I was not diagnosed yet with ADD or Bipolar disorder and you can imagine how challenging things could be. I guess the ball game was more of a domino then the last straw as it led to more intense stress.




Stress causes a high percentage of people with mental illness to have their first break or successive breaks. What makes things easier is learning strategies of how to deal with the stress. Currently with my search for employment, limited funds, making sure to have time with my daughter Hannah, and spending time with my girlfriend Wenona..In the past this would have overwhelmed me and maybe caused a break. However, I have learned that I can get past my problems and they are only temporary. It helps that I learned that I have bipolar disorder so I recognize there are times when I might get too manic or down and it doesn't match the situation. For me this is when I put things in perspective either by writing my thoughts, thinking them through, or talking with a loved one. My girlfriend Wenona has been a tremendous support addition since I met her last Thanksgiving.




What does this have to do with baseball? If I put my emotions into the local teams like I did in the past I would have been very excited when they both got into the league championship series and the chance of a freeway series appeared seriously possible. As they lost games I would have gotten very down and then when they won a game my emotions would have gotten extremely up again. This rollercoaster of emotions has gone from being like the Colossus at Magic Mountain to the Corkscrew at Knott's Berry Farm. Life is not easier, but it definitely is smoother and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment