Goalllllllllllls!

The blog posts are from my experiences with the modern world. I hope to enlighten others in their search for their own personal truth while at the same time gaining insight into my own psyche.

Powered By Blogger

Friday, April 2, 2010

Freedom of Speech has a volume dial



Originally I planned on writing about the various political and religious comments on Facebook and how they bug me. I then realized how hypocritical that would be of me as I just proudly shared Anna Paquin's announcement that she is a bisexual. What this comes down to is that we all have freedom of speech as well as the freedom to not listen or pay attention. If my socially liberal views that I espouse continually bother a "friend" on Facebook, they have every right to remove me from their friends' list or hide all posts from me. This is true of me with regards to religion exclamations from enthusiastic Christians. I don't have the same views as them so that leaves me a few choices. I can continue to have them on my friends' list and ignore their writings, make comments on their status as to why I don't see things as they do, or remove them from my lists.



The first choice which is to ignore their writings on religion works for me if I am close to the person and the majority of their writings discuss other topics. However, if the majority of the discussion is of a religious or political nature then I move on to the next option. I respect everyone's right to their own religious belief and since I can't claim to have the answer of which if any religion has it right; I will not comment on a religious comment. This has led me to remove some "friends" who share mostly on their religion because it is not of interest to me and I have limited hours in my day. Lastly, I mentioned removing people from my list. This I have done mostly in cases where a person was constantly making what I perceive to be cynical comments on the state of the world. Every individual has the right to be a cynic, but I have the right to not want to hear more than the ones I already hear.

A discussion on the positive and negatives of a certain candidate or politician is interesting for me to read about. I get to see other points of view and learn a lot. However, reading someone call our president names like Obamanation or Obamarama or whatever does me no good and in my opinion is disrespectful. I didn't agree with much of President George W. Bush's policies, but see no reason to lower myself to the level of mocking his name. Doing so would truly be bush league.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, my husband and I were just talking about the same topic. I don't recall such mean things about the last POTUS. I have a wide range of friends with different beliefs, but seeing friends post evil things about Obama or any politician/public figure is upsetting. Some things have been so mean, they really do qualify as evil. I'm over it!

    ReplyDelete